Thursday, July 19, 2007

this strikes me as one of the saddest news stories I've read. A family dumped their aged grandmother in a trash heap in southern India.

On the surface, it initially saddens me for obvious reasons. But on a secondary level, because I've often thought how brutal the US system is, rest homes, etc. and how wonderful it is that 'third' world countries still keep family together, support the elderly, and reap the benefits of a living vessel of wisdom in the house.

Now that illusion is smashed.


I can remember my grandmother (msrip) telling my father "NO Golden Acres" And with the help of my Aunt and Uncle living in Dallas, my grandmother was able to live in her own home, in a style she wanted, till the end.

My folks are still relatively young, but I have no idea what I will do if they need assistance when they get older. I have always thought how wonderful it would be to have a big old ranch house *meaning a house on a ranch, not a 3-2 postwar ranch* and build smaller houses out back for my folks, her folks, etc.

But I really have no clue.

never put on a trash heap

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?