Thursday, January 05, 2006

1982

Steve Levine was sitting in my dorm room, listening to me calling about a broken skateboard part. I was telling the girl form the skateboard company where I was from, and I moved to Austin, and I liked their skateboard parts, and when I bought it, etc. etc...

Steve said "Charles, shut up, they don't want to hear any of that crap. Tell them the part broke, you want a new one, when will they send it"

And a little lightbulb went off over my head.

People do not want to sift for information. They want you to quickly tell them what they need to know.

The better you do this, the better the reaction. People basically WANT to help others. If you make it easy for them, they will.

While not always successful, I try to be as brief, to the point, and information focused as possible. This works very well in a business setting.

Sadly, it sucks when Sara wants to talk with me. about things, you know, things, and stuff. I have spent so long training myself to be information intensive, in short statements, that I have blown the "small talk - chat" factor. I try to work on this at home.

Comments:
Bullshit!
Everyone wants to hear your stupid stories. Otherwise, why would people be looking at your blog?

Your friend was wrong wrong wrong.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?