Sunday, February 21, 2010

When I was a kid, my pop brought me a N-Scale train set for a present once. He set it up on a 5' x 2.5' plywood board. I called, and just found out, it was so it could slide under my bed!

Well, it's been kicking around for years, and yesterday I decided it was time to fix it up for Saul. He and I took it to Matt's house, Matt is big into model trains. We looked at everything, took inventory, then the three of us went to the model train shop. The only woman in the model train shop? Is definitely the owner's wife, who helps out on weekends. I could not find where they kept the cans, but there is definitely an inventory of "Chick-A-Way" or it's twin product "Girl-B-Gon" under the counter somewhere.

We bought some track, some switches. Next stop Home Depot for some wood to build a box under the set, and legs, so it is off the floor. Our plan? to re-work the old train set.

Photos follow

Matt and Saul working on the railroad


Saul eating a Z-Bar and drinking some juice box All the wile, telling us a fascinating and interesting story.


old plywood spacers from under the track


Saul turning the screws on us. (Playing with clamps)


Joe the red headed Menace says it is not truly a project till someone is bleeding. I managed to catch my fingers on a staple under the board, ripped across them all. There are bloody fingerprints on the inside of one of the box sides under the track now.


Saul providing some much needed adult supervision. Had he been watching, I may not have cut myself! :)


Tools on the deck


This board is not straight


These switches are too old, they do not bounce back


Old switch after receiving too much power, many years ago


Almost clear


Clipping the old wiring away to make room for the new


Starting to lay it out. We soldered every joint, and glued it all to the surface of the wood


Taking shape


Measuring radius for curves


Yes, I was working on this also. Soldering all the wiring for new switches (we moved from 4 to 6)


View from the north


View from the south, with building to show the "spurs" we will be using to stage cars, and make a small town.


Matt at dinner with his fancy purple (not gay) margarita!


Tomorrow we are gonna try to take some cars, and let Saul drive them around. I still need to buy a better transformer, mine cannot power all the switches. And? Maybe a new engine.

I think we will lay "ballast" or sand, some grass, and a little layout to look more train-ey. Will see how it goes.

I never knew Saul would like Trains as much as he does, but this is cool and fun.

Comments:
I have been informed, every little boy likes trains. You just have to feed the like and pretty soon Tarzan will have a set-up like the Turner's.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?