Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Soap Free, or How is your experiment going, Stinky?

Two weeks ago, I decided to try an experiment in soap free living. This does not mean slathering myself in patchouli oil, and being a stinky hippie. I still bathe every single day sometimes twice, as I always have.

My journey was prompted by Sean Bonner, and this link: and this

Here is my qualifier, I always use soap on my hands before any food prep, after “bathroom time” and after working on bikes.

Soap is a Surfactant it is blended to remove oil, clean stuff, and keep things tidy. It also probably removes lots of “good” stuff we need on our skin.

So I thought I would give this a try. No soap does not mean no shower. After ~ 2 weeks, I find myself taking a longer, hotter shower. Usually I am in, shampoo, soap, and out in five minutes or less. Now, I find it takes me seven to ten minutes. For the first time since I was seven, I am using a washcloth. I scrub my skin with the washcloth under hot water, so if I am cleaning my hand, I have that hand under the water stream, while scrubbing. I can actually feel when it is ‘clean’ as my skin is more slippery.

When I am finished with my body, I wash my hair, again, water, washcloth, and kind of a scrubbing, grabbing motion. My hair is the hardest part. It has always been oily, and has not yet “normalized” as they blogs and articles say. So I can feel the hair oils running off, and my hands feel oily. I am waiting for this to happen, and I can probably get a haircut, as less hair would help. Helmet hair from riding motorcycle is more pronounced.

Results! My body has normalized, I feel cleaner when I get out of the shower. I am not using deodorant, as I like the “gel stick” and it is hard to wash off the next day. My face is clear, I break out less. (yes, at 46, I still get acne) I’ve had dry skin on my knuckles and elbows as long as I can remember. It is soft and not flaky. My usual scratches and dings from my life seem to heal faster too.

By the end of the day, I can smell myself. It is not a horrid stink, but I do smell like a man. If I am going out, or need to be clean, I will take a quick evening shower. Otherwise I wait till the next morning.

So far? Success, except for hair. More as it develops

Comments: Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?