Thursday, July 16, 2020

Work Eats My Pants

When I started new job in November, I'd come in wearing slacks, button down shirt and sport coat.  I'm an Operations Manager.   I know what that means.  Lead teams, build great teams, monitor KPI, increase productivity.   I know how to do that.

Then they changed my assignment to on-site, .... at the chemical plant ... that supports a wafer fab.

I work at a huge chemical plant.  Thanks Dad.  I just can't escape chemistry, even though I could not pass organic chem to save my hide.

Managing a mostly good crew of Union Stationary Engineers, their job is to keep the chemicals flowing to and from the fab, and processing/cleaning all the waste.   When they say wastewater treatment, they dont mean poop.  they mean water that has washed through the manufacturing process, and is full of HF, Copper, Lead, Arsenic, etc. BIG tanks of the nasty stuff, that have to be purified and cleaned.

Outfit change.  5 brand new pairs of black Dickies canvas carpenter pants, and 5 brand new black long sleeve shirts.

almost 8 months later, all my pants are faded to near grey, covered in holes, frayed seams.  The caustic used to process the chemical waste is everywhere.  It eats through your clothes if you brush against it.   I've replaced the black shirts so often, I lost count.   Its the pants that are weirdest.  These were some high quality pants,   and now? close to rags.

My Union Chief Engineer is a great guy.  I like him as a friend. And if you know me, you know that has meaning.  I managed to get my company to finally authorize and get a uniform service for the guys.  They provide shirts, pants and laundry/repair service for all our engineers.    My Chief says "I talked to the uniform company guy - just try on a pair, and they will deliver some for you weekly."  (Like I said, I like him, he is a great guy)

I may have to do it.

Because my work eats my pants.

I know, (thanks again dad) what happens to guys who work long term around these kinds of chemicals.  Life is shortened, the end is horrible, usually a cancer.   Work doesn't just eat my pants,  it is slowly going through my body

I know I am supposed to be grateful to have a job "in these uncertain times" - and I do need health insurance.   --- but some days are harder than others.  Not a lot of companies are hiring.  they say they are, but in reality... not so much.

Today I was told TWICE "if you dont xyz, .... I may have to fire you" --- none of the successful managers/leaders in my past? thought threats were the best way to get work done.

I need something different.

While work eats my pants
My leadership is eating my soul.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?