Saturday, November 07, 2020

deer

 someone, on some forum posted a video of some guy almost hitting a cow in the road --- and it rmeinded me of this little incident from long ago


SO

it was around 1988 or 89, and I was hauling biscuits out Old Bee Caves Road outside Austin.  I think I was on a RD250, but it may have been a DS7.   Clubman bars and a cut down seat,  Bassani chambers.   zippity zip through the esses at a decent speed,  at dusk  -  when a damn DEER jumped out in front of me

then I woke up, my shoulder hurt, but i could not SEE anything, and I felt really slimey. --- and I heard these guys sayin "do ya reckon that kid is even alive?"

i tried to take my helmet off, but for some reason, couldn't touch it...     because?

my helmet, and my head, was stuck inside the damn deer.   I apparently T-boned it, my helmet went through he rib cage, and i was layin on the street, with the rest of me sticking out.  When I managed to extricate myself the 2 guys who were in a truck behind me when it happened were AMAZED.  "he is alive, lets help him"

i broke a collarbone and a few of my ribs.   definitely broke ALL of the deers ribs, and managed to mess up the J-C Whitney 'salad bowl" fairing, bent the forks a little...

the guys in the truck said they'd load the bike and drop me at St. David's hospital, IF!!!!   I wouldn't tell anyone and let them have the deer.

15 or 45 mins later, my bike and I are in front of St Davids,  and I go walking in with my black leather jacket, jeans and engineer boots,  dripping blood and deer entrails

got very fast service when they heard motorcycle accident.   and saw the carnage.  

Once we cleaned me up a little, and they realized most of the intestines were NOT mine...  things calmed down some.  The nurse called Old Man James, who brought a trailer for the bike, and some Pearl Light Beer, ..... in case I needed it.

they gave me the x-shoulders brace and told me to stop riding bikes.   OMJ loaded the Yamaha onto the trailer, and took me and the bike home,   laughing and regaling me with stories of one time he did something similar.

fixed the bike as the shoulder healed.   years later - was disassembling the horn,  ....it never worked after the crash -  found out because it was STUFFED full of deer fur.

with hindsight, I'm surprised i did not crap my pants.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?